Thursday, August 26, 2010

Freedom

When I see or hear the word freedom, many things come to mind. Not only freedom in the physical sense, but freedom to do and say whatever I want, be friends with whoever I want to be friends with, and achieve whatever I want to with my life. Freedom allows us to achieve a lot of things in life, and I think that a lot of people who live in countries like America may take that right for granted. Without this right I wouldn't have the things that I do have in life and I wouldn't be able to have as bright a future as I do.

 Something else that comes to mind when I think of freedom is the fact that not everyone else in the world has the same amount of freedoms that we do. Some countries in other parts of the world severely limit the amount of freedom that the people living there have, which I think is really unfortunate. I believe that freedom of speech and expression, and the freedom to want your own life without having to follow strict rules, is something that every single person deserves to have.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that people who live on America do take in for granted about the freedom that we do have. Like you said not everyone in the world has freedom we should not complain when we have so much more than in most country's. We do have a brighter future with freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn, am I truly free to say and do what I want? I think it is important to note that even within all of the freedoms that we give, there are limitations. We have to put limits on them; otherwise, people would take advantage of that freedom for malicious reasons.

    When a close friend of mine traveled to Africa, she got into a conversation with an old man. He said "We Africans know that Americans pity us. But we Africans pity Americans."

    She was surprised and asked how. This is what he said: "Americans seem to expect that everything will be provided for them. For us," he said, "this ear of corn is a gift. This evening's rain is a gift of mercy upon us. This healthy breath is life-giving. And, maybe tomorrow we will not have such things, but our hearts are so full today."

    I think freedom can make people lazy and selfish. Maybe a lack of freedom makes people more appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You thought about this more in depth than I did. But every thing you said was in my mind and things that I couldn't think of but they were in my head somewhere. I agree with you when you said it is sad that people in other countries can't voice their opinions and who they want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like what you said about what you thought of freedom. but i have to heavily agree with miss ford and her comment she posted about the african man pitying Americans. and he is right, because everything is handed to us literally on a gold platter basically and most Americas don't realize that they missed the opportunity to work hard and be able to appreciate the small break they get in between.

    ReplyDelete